How I lose at Godtear

I was going to make this post a discussion of the specific Slayer champions, but Rage Quite Wire beat me too it.

So instead I’ve been using my cat wrangling time to think about some of the lessons I’ve learned on my Godtear journey so far, some of the mistakes I've made, and still make. I could probably have upped my traffic by giving this post a title like;


Local nerd discovers simple trick to winning Godtear, step three will shock you.

In truth though spotting these and working on them has definitely upped my win rate, so I'm hoping they help you too;

1) The ultimate miser

Ultimates are truly game changing actions and I've definitely lost games being greedy and waiting for the most epic place to use an them. The fact is you don't need the maximum targets in range with Blackjaw, and Rangosh can just use the movement portion of his ultimate to get to an enemy banner. 

If it has a good chance of swinging a turn use it. There aren't any prizes for having unused ultimate actions at the end of the game.

2)  Skipping the bait banners

Sometimes I hesitate to drop a banner when I can only place it somewhere it's trivial for my opponent to trample it.  I'm not dropping a banner there my opponent can just advance over it.

The flaw in this thinking being you still get the claiming step, and force your opponent to spend and action advancing over your banner, dictating some of their turn.  Not giving enemy champions freedom of movement and dictating their positioning is highly valuable.

3) Chasing lost turns

There have been time when my opponent has banners I can’t get to, or has just knocked over a pivotal champion and the turn is now unwinnable, or close to it.  I'm occasionally guilty of continuing to fight for a turn I can't mathematically win.

Try to watch the battle ladder and recognise once the turn is decided. Once the happens use the remaining actions to set up for next turn; put some wounds onto enemy champions ready for the knockdown, thin out followers, position ready to drop banners.

You don't need to win every turn, using actions in the current turn and setup the next makes life easier.


What do you think, and what are your most common Godtear mistakes?  Let me know on Twitter or wherever you found this post.  Stay safe and keep claiming.