First GodTear Tournament

I originally posted this to Reddit after the tournament March 14th
Taken from Game One

I was fortunate enough to attend my first Godtear tournament at my local FLGS. As this will be one of the first held in the UK since the retail release. So I thought I'd share my thoughts and observations.

Obvious disclaimer: One tournament, in one meta, with relatively new players, so consider this for what it is; the thoughts of a man who's won at least three games of Godtear.

Event Run Through

Composition (what I brought and why);
  • Lorsann: I was expecting a lot of Mournblade and Peet and she's a decent counter.
  • Rangosh: Solid pick into Riath'Marid and high protection targets.
  • Raith'Marid: Great all rounder, and highly mobile.
  • Grimgut: Needed someone defensive and didn't otherwise have an answer to follower groups.

Round One - Quest - vs George

Lorsann, Rangosh, Raith, and Grimgut vs Halftusk, Rhodri, Mournblade, and Lorsann.

My opponents composition was never going to have an easy game in Quest, especially as my Lorsann locked out his Mournblade. Most of his champions ended up stuck behind a wall of vomit. That said George played well and I made some key mistakes which cost me turn three.

With the game in the balance right up to the final activations where Rhodri used his ultimate, and Grimgut had to advance and roll over the banner to respond and swing the game back to me.

Ended: L-W-L-W-W for a 5-4 win.

Round Two - Knowledge - vs JC

Lorsann, Rangosh, Raith, and Grimgut vs Grimgut, Halftusk, Mournblade, and Lorsann.

I don't like Grimgut in Knowledge (or life) as he doesn't have enough opportunity to deny areas to his opponents. Lorsann was able to lock out Mournblade, and some fancy footwork from Rangosh kept Halftusk off balance enough to keep me in control of the game.

Ended: L-W-W for a 5-1 win.

Round Three - Chaos - vs Mark

Lorsann, Rangosh, Raith, and Grimgut vs Finvar, Raith, Rangosh, and Titus.

Grimgut isn't agile enough to navigate a Chaos board, so I left him at home. Mark had to set up first meaning I was able to match up my champions favourably; Rangosh into Riath, Raith into Finvar, With Lorsann floating to keep tabs on Titus and tag others as needed. The ability to position favourably let me keep Mark on the back foot and close out our game in round three.

Ended: L-W-W for a 5-1 win.

Results were enough to put me in first.

Post Event Thoughts

There was a lot of chat after the event about format etc. This centred on two key points;

Champion Balance: Our meta has been on a cycle of X champion is broken/filth/bs, until someone turns up with a champion which counters it. This cycle continues, with the current complaints being about Raith'Marid, with a side order of Grimgut.

My sense is that the competitive end of the game becomes about anticipating what others are bringing and adjusting your lineup to counter them accordingly.

This can lead to some players feeling that their games are unwinnable because the champions they brought are countered by what others brought. This might mean a pick and ban mechanism would benefit organised play over time. Bring five, ban one, pick three, or Bring five, pick one, ban one, pick two were both discussed.

Dice Down: One player had a particularly poor experience with dice down timing and resolving the end of the game. Mostly because the end of the game snuck up on them. Time calls are definitely needed if we aren't moving to a chess clock.

Objectives: I'd probably avoid Chaos and Quest in a new player event. They're really tough for new people to get to grips with.


All of this said the core of Godtear as a game is one of the strongest if not the strongest I've ever played. Loving it. Huge thanks to David for organising and Leodis Games for hosting the event, as well as my three great opponents.